[TriLUG] Hard drive recovery

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Sun Aug 28 14:12:45 EDT 2005

The latest on this is that I managed to boot Knoppix running the bad drive
on a PCI IDE controller. The BIOS detects the drive, and so does Knoppix,
but complains bitterly about it.

Here are some messages from dmesg:

Probing IDE interface ide2...
hde: WDC WD2000, ATA DISK drive
ide2 at 0xf8802080-0xf8802087,0xf880208a on irq 11
Probing IDE interface ide3...
Probing IDE interface ide3...
Probing IDE interface ide4...
Probing IDE interface ide5...
hde: max request size: 64KiB
hde: 16514064 sectors (8455 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=16383/16/63
hde: cache flushes not supported
hde:hde: recal_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: recal_intr: error=0x02 { TrackZeroNotFound }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hde: recal_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: recal_intr: error=0x02 { TrackZeroNotFound }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
ide2: reset timed-out, status=0xd0
hde: task_in_intr: status=0x19 { SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hde: task_in_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hde: status error: status=0x11 { SeekComplete Error }
hde: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hde: drive not ready for command
hde: status error: status=0x11 { SeekComplete Error }
hde: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hde: drive not ready for command
hde: status error: status=0x11 { SeekComplete Error }
hde: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hde: drive not ready for command
ide2: reset timed-out, status=0x90
end_request: I/O error, dev hde, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device hde, logical block 0

Trying to mount it:

root at 0[~]# mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hde /mnt/hde
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hde,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

In dmesg:

end_request: I/O error, dev hde, sector 0
NTFS-fs error (device hde): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Unable to read primary
boot sector.
NTFS-fs error (device hde): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Mount option
errors=recover not used. Aborting without trying to recover.
NTFS-fs error (device hde): ntfs_fill_super(): Not an NTFS volume.

I tried some other tools like SalvageNTFS, but they all failed with IO
errors, and there were lots of Buffer I/O errors in dmesg. Interestingly
enough, the clicking noises stopped once I was in Knoppix.

So, any suggestions? Anyone think there is a chance of recovery with some
of that expensive, powerful software out there?

Thanks,
Owen