[TriLUG] Hard drive recovery

Wing D Lizard wingedlizard at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 28 14:43:40 EDT 2005

TrackZeroNotFound sounds bad.

Can you read the partition table with fdisk?  If you can't ( and
can't fix it), then you won't be able look it as a filesystem.
Maybe there are utilities that can look at the rest of the disk
as a raw device, but I remember reading that if the first track
went bad then the disk was gone.

The partition table must go in the first track,  if it's bad then
your out of luck.  The best chance is to find some way to read the
raw data off of it and try to deduce the partitions, then the
filesystems, then the files.  This is probably what the
professionals do for the big bucks.

Good luck.

Owen Berry wrote:

>The latest on this is that I managed to boot Knoppix running the bad drive
>on a PCI IDE controller. The BIOS detects the drive, and so does Knoppix,
>but complains bitterly about it.
>
>Here are some messages from dmesg:
>hde: 16514064 sectors (8455 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=16383/16/63

hde: cache flushes not supported