[TriLUG] Hard drive recovery

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Mon Aug 29 09:44:22 EDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 09:32:00AM -0400, Owen Berry wrote:
> I would classify it as delayed remote raid. :-) Not a backup, but useful.

Very useful.

A few months ago the LVM on my Debian woody server went squirally.
Thankfully all that data was also on the other drive.  I formatted and
copied the data back into place.

I accidentally mashed the delete key in Konqueror the other day.  I was able
to simply go to the other drive in the other machine and rsync the file back
into place.

I have a cron job that does this via rsync with SSH keys every night.  Disks
are cheap.  The script is simple.  While it may not qualify as a full backup
to the "enterprise" geeks here, it definitely saves some serious headache.

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5