[TriLUG] no device for CDROM in kernel-2.6

Lee Fickenscher elfick at mac.com
Mon Aug 29 12:19:13 EDT 2005

According to RFC 2822 section 3.6.4:
    The "In-Reply-To:" and "References:" fields are used when creating a
    reply to a message.  They hold the message identifier of the
original
    message and the message identifiers of other messages (for example,
    in the case of a reply to a message which was itself a reply).  The
    "In-Reply-To:" field may be used to identify the message (or
    messages) to which the new message is a reply, while the
    "References:" field may be used to identify a "thread" of
    conversation.

So it certainly isn't a bug, either way. And while the use of the
word "may" means that it isn't required, using "In-Reply-To" appears
to be the way it is generally done. Unfortunately there is no
required way thus clients can use either method. A very non-
scientific polling indicates that apple mail, thunderbird, mutt, and
most likely others use the "In-Reply-To" for threading. Though some
of these may ALSO use the subject. In some cases the subject may be
used to over-ride "In-Reply-To", but not in all cases. Neither is a
bug based on the RFC.

That being said, since it is easier create a new message rather than
modify the "In-Reply-To" header, it is generally asked that new
messages be used so as not to break the threading on clients that use
"In-Reply-To".

Thanks,
Lee