[TriLUG] Hard drive recovery

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Aug 29 16:54:53 EDT 2005

Kevin Otte wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 09:32:00AM -0400, Owen Berry wrote:
>> I would classify it as delayed remote raid. :-) Not a backup, but useful.
>
> Very useful.

Quite useful, but still scary :).

> I have a cron job that does this via rsync with SSH keys every night.  Disks
> are cheap.  The script is simple.  While it may not qualify as a full backup
> to the "enterprise" geeks here, it definitely saves some serious headache.

The first rule to follow to greatly improve the quality of a backup is
to seperate the read/write mechanism from the media.  I use hard drives
for backups myself, but only for short term.  DVD burners and media are
quite cheap (at least 4x media is cheap, probably 8x by now).

I trust my mirror plus my extra backup drive with my data for about a
week to a month, usually (My backup drive is sized right that it can be
wiped and used as a spare for the mirror).  I might be more paranoid if
I didn't mirror my revision control repositories to my web space and usb
drive, though.  :)

Anywho, I am babbling.  All I am trying to say is that if you really
want to keep your data safe, you can get a 60 dollar DVD burner and a
100 disc spindle for less than a hard drive and USB enclosure.  The
capacity is not the same, but most people don't actually have 4.3 gig of
data that actually needs to be backed up.

Pat