[TriLUG] OT: Certifications - Education

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Mon Aug 29 19:38:42 EDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 02:50:35PM -0400, jonc wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 12:15, Shane O'Donnell wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> I agree. A good IT-guy can go from concept to reality (and back again).
> We are problem solvers. Given enough information we can overcome just
> about any problem.

But don't expect us to come up with snap answers with no data.  (
current irritation with micro-manager )

> I think the best degree to identify these kinds of conceptual thinkers
> is Mathematics. Mathematicians don't come cheap though so I usually end
> up hiring/training their left-handed counterparts: Musicians.

The other ones that I have found most impressively able to merge
computer science with people skills ( and, incidentally, business ) are
Philosophy majors -- or at least people who have a good grounding in
philosophy and logic.

Perhaps I have only encountered the exceptions, but a few of the people
that I have most looked up to had those qualities.

> Jon

Brian