[TriLUG] OpenNMS questions

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Thu Sep 1 15:28:52 EDT 2005

With the recent discussion about Nagios and OpenNMS, I had some
questions about OpenNMS. I'm reading about it on the website, but
thought I would poll some users as well.

* Can it be used to monitor non-network/service related items? For
example, a batch job that is supposed to be completed by a certain time.
* Related to the above, Nagios uses a plugin type system that allows you
to monitor almost anything. Does OpenNMS have something similar?
* Can OpenNMS receive and monitor events from other servers? For
example, a server behind a firewall may need to contact the OpenNMS
server, rather than the other way around. In Nagios terminology, this
would be a passive monitor.
* Are you able to configure OpenNMS for distributed monitoring and
automatic failover?

Thanks,
Owen