[TriLUG] re: tv tuner cards

Derek Smith derek at edivise.com
Thu Sep 8 12:36:34 EDT 2005

Here's what I learned through the process of building a MythTV box.

There are two primary chipsets used by TV cards

BTTV (http://linux.bytesex.org/v4l2/bttv.html)
IVTV (http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php)

There are Linux kernel modules for both.  IVTV is what most of the Hauppauge cards use, which have a hardware based decoder for the TV signal (which saves your main CPU from having to do the decoding).
BTTV is used by brands like Pinnacle, WinTV, etc.

BTTV has a corresponding piece called BTAUDIO which allows the TV card to appear as another sound card, which eliminates the need to run a jumper cable from the TV Card audio-out to your sound card line-in.

Most folks recommend the Hauppauge cards for the HW decoder, but if you have a good CPU and adequate RAM, then you will probably have equal success with the BTTV models.

Regards,
Derek Smith

Mike M. wrote