[TriLUG] OT help using vlans

Kevin Miller kevinm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 23:59:22 EDT 2005

> My question
> is that on our switches Do I have to specify an ip address of each vlan,
> meaning would I have to give vlan 1 and IP address of 10.10.1.x/24 on the
> switch. My second question is since each switch has an uplink, to another

No, each switch only requires one IP for management. This can be in any of
the vlans, theoretically.

switch and each switch contains all 3 vlans must the uplink port be a
> member of all 3 vlans? Another question is if all 4 switches are a member

The port should be configured for 802.1q trunking. You'll define one of the
vlans to be the "native" (or untagged) vlan. This could even be some other,
completely unused vlan (e.g. vlan 100). Some recommend using the vlan that
you're using for management as the native vlan.

Anyway, then the other vlans are just carried across the trunk. You should
be able to limit the trunked vlans, if you cared.

> of the same stack will the vlan IDs carry over to the other switches? We

Depends on the stacking technology. I'm not familiar with the procurve's.

do not want to do any modifications on the workstations, so I do not thing
> the vlans need to be tagged.

Correct, all of the workstation ports should be in "access" (or untagged)
mode, and you assign whatever vlan is appropriate for the connected device.

-Kevin