[TriLUG] server install

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Wed Sep 14 14:42:23 EDT 2005

I have an x-series 346 that I've installed RHEL3, RHEL4, debian, and
slackware on.  No suse.  Sorry. :)  The one thing that really posed a
problem was the radeon module for xorg.  This may not be a problem with
suse, but with redhat the graphical installer didn't work since it tried
to use the radeon module.  I had to install in text mode.  Do you have
the serveraid 7k controller in it, or are you doing software raid?  The
raid manager can be a little tricky for the serveraid.  Do you have the
rsa2 card?  If you want to be able to shut down the system with the rsa2
card you'll want the ibmusbasm driver from ibm.  If you run into
something, let me know.  I may have already had to find a solution.

Oh... one more thing.  Avoid BIOS version 1.07.  It broke hyperthreading
support.  There are like 8 different firmwares you should make sure are
up to date.  BIOS, diagnostics, baseboard management controller, RSA2
firmware (if you have the rsa2 card), broadcom firmware, hard drive
firmware, serveraid firmware, and serveraid bios.  Maybe if you don't
have the serveraid there's another bios update for the scsi controller.
  I'm not sure.  The update Xpress cd can boot up and make sure most of
them are a relatively recent version, but even it is a little outdated.
  Just make sure you have a BIOS that doesn't destroy your
hyperthreading support.

Joel