[TriLUG] Hard drive advice

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Sep 21 14:43:48 EDT 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Cristobal Palmer wrote:

> I'll echo Joe's comments and give an endorsement to Intrex, especially
> since they give discounts to TriLUG members. That said, if you don't
> _mind_ keeping shipping supplies around and are meticulous about
> keeping records (such as receipts), then you can safely go with an
> internet bargain that includes a nice (eg. 3-5 yr.) warranty.

A 3-5yr warrantee is useful to some people (it's expensive
to pull disks), but for personal use I find my 5yr old disks
to small to be useful. With the capacity of disks growing
faster than Moore's law for the last 10yrs, you don't want
to buy excess capacity now that will depreciate faster than
Moore's law.

At home, time isn't charged, but if you're in business where
a sysadmin costs the business about $50/hr. then disks are
really cheap. As Mark Merkel (? I think) said at OLS_2004,
If your disks are becoming full and you're practicing
relatively good disk hygiene, it's cheaper to add another
disk than to pay the sysadmin $50/hr to delete files.

Joe