[TriLUG] apache passwd management strategies (subversion)

Timothy A. Chagnon tachagnon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 20:59:42 EDT 2005

On 9/22/05, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/22/05, Timothy Chagnon <tachagnon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Since apache2 or thereabouts, htpasswd entries can use MD5 hashes just
> > like the /etc/shadow file.  And they're both colon delimited, so you
> > just need to take the first two columns from the shadow file.
>
> To do this you need to use mod_auth_digest, but first read the caveats
> in the documentation:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_auth_digest.html

No, I wasn't implying the use of auth_digest.  I still just use
AuthType Basic over an HTTPS connection.  Digest means that the
browser hashes it into MD5 and sends that, avoiding clear-text.  The
method I meant still just sends clear-text from the browser to apache
which hashes it and compares with the htpasswd file.  Apache can just
use MD5 now.

But yeah, Tanner has the better method with mod_auth_pam.  I should
change to using that, just keep forgetting about it.