[TriLUG] OT: Education

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:50:26 EDT 2005

On 9/23/05, Christopher L Merrill <chris at webperformanceinc.com> wrote:
> Mark Freeze wrote:
> > US and I saw an interesting fact: Out of the top 5, 4 were college dropouts.
> > (The bottom 5 were all from the Wal-Mart family.)
>
> IMO, the part that is interesting is that it is in direct contrast
> to the statistics for the general public, where education level is
> directly related to ecomonic prosperity.

Ah, but the rich are different from you and me!

>From the MSNBC article on the new Forbes 400 list:

"What makes the super-rich different?"

"Those left behind made room for 45 new names, 10 of them members of
Chicago's Pritzker clan, whose intergenerational squabble resulted in
the carving up of the family's $17 billion hotel and manufacturing
fortune."

"But not all the new names stem from old family fortunes. Google
founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page prove a good idea can still make a
bundle; bond guru William Gross' steady hand on volatile markets
created his $1 billion fortune; and Kenneth Hendricks shows a guy can
still make a buck in the unsexy trade of building supplies."

"High oil and gas prices also helped: T.Boone Pickens, a perennial
suspect for two decades, finally makes an appearance on the list, but
his $750 million pile is dwarfed by the $4.2 billion net worth of
Houston pipeline maven Daniel Duncan."

For a graphical view on the distribution of income in the US see:
http://www.lcurve.org/

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site