[TriLUG] SNMP Wierdness ( OpenBSD 3.7 )

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Fri Sep 23 18:31:21 EDT 2005

I originally posted this on TriBUG because of the topic, but it seems to
be, shall we say, VERY low volume.

I am having an issue with my newly upgraded OpenBSD 3.7, and was
hoping that somebody can offer some ideas. Everything seemed to be OK in
this area when I was running 3.5, but since I have recently upgraded to
3.7, I am getting strange results from SNMP.

When I do an snmpwalk down the "ip" tree, I find that the interface
names are basically garbage, and all the interfaces are showing as
"down," even though I KNOW that I am getting traffic through them
( such as this message! ).

Tools such as MRTG and Cricket, that make use of this information, are
complaining loudly.

"sysctl -a" shows a lot of "stuff" but no devices, or "if" information.
"ifconfig -a" seems to be correct.
"netstat -i" seems to be correct.
"netstat -r" or "route show" shows active routes for "lo0", "rl0" and
"vr0", the external and internal ethernet cards, respectively.

Is there a solution, or does anybody have any bright ideas?

Thanks,
Brian