[TriLUG] OT: Education

Ben Pitzer bpitzer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 08:09:01 EDT 2005

Don't get me wrong. I know that there are hard working people out there, the
ones who put together a business model and bust their asses through hard
work, scrimping every cent in order to make things work. Paul Allen went to
a private high school where he met Bill Gates, and his father was an
associate director of libraries for the University of Washington (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Allen). So I'd say there was a little
money there.

Michael Dell, however, did it on his own, as I understand things. He busted
his ass, and simply had a great idea at a great time. He had the other thing
that can make money: a great idea, one that comes along once every 100
years. Sam Walton had that, too. He started with some money. Not a ton, but
enough to start up a discount department store in Arkansas, which is still
more than I probably have. Nevertheless, he had a great idea, busted his
ass, and made it work.

No, money isn't all it takes. But it sure as hell helps, as most of the top
10 will tell you.

-Ben Pitzer