[TriLUG] Quanta / Bluefish

John Berninger johnw at berningeronline.net
Mon Sep 26 08:39:27 EDT 2005

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, matt-nc wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations about web editors for Linux, such as
> Quanta Plus or Bluefish?  Those two come with Mandriva as well as Nvu
> (which would not load) and Screem which doesn't look too powerful.
>
> I am especially interested in their relative strengths or weaknesses with
> PHP and MySQL, which I am in the process of learning.

        I use Quanta+, and I generally despise anything that's not
inside a terminal window, mostly since I despise WYSIWYG type editors.
Fortunately, Quanta+ isn't WYSIWYG, so I can fogive it's not being side
a terminal window.  That said, I've found it very easy to use, and the
PHP syntax highlighting has been a tremendous help in finding goofs
(like a ' where I needed a ").  It doesn't do anything special with
MySQL syntax - treats the SQL statements as PHP strings - but that's
never been that big a deal for me.

        I've not tried the other two, so I can't comment on them, but I
can recommend Quanta+.

--
John Berninger

GPG Key ID: A8C1D45C
        Fingerprint: B1BB 90CB 5314 3113 CF22  66AE 822D 42A8 A8C1 D45C

Ita erat quando hic adveni.