[TriLUG] samba printing.. ugh

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Sep 26 09:47:06 EDT 2005

Hi Folks,
   I'm trying to get some printing to PDF accomplished via Samba.  The
intent is for a Windows XP Pro machine to connect to the Samba-shared
printer on a Fedora 2 server, which will use a script and ps2pdf to
create a PDF from the print job.  I'm using the following document as a
reference in setting this up:
http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/printing/index.html#SECTION05000000000000000000

I can see the printer share from the Windows machine and map it as a
printer.  However, once it appears in my Printers & Faxes folder, it
shows up with "Access denied, unable to connect."  I've done the
smbpasswd dance and there's a set of samba credentials that exactly
matches the Windows logon credentials for the XP machine.  Can anyone
tell me what I'm missing, and what I need to do to get this thing to
stop saying "access denied"?  The smb.conf section for the printer follows.

[pdflabels]
    path = /tmp
    printable = yes
    writeable = no
    create mask = 0700
    guest ok = yes
    printer name = pdflabels
    comment = Prints to a PDF file on the server
    print command = /usr/share/pdfconvert
    public = yes

This is really maddening and also a pretty high-priority task...  any
and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton!

~Brian