[TriLUG] Re: OT: Education

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Mon Sep 26 09:57:06 EDT 2005

Shane O'Donnell wrote:
> Unfortunately, the "fixing of schools" has been far from lip service.
> "No Child Left Behind", a federal initiative to improve the quality of
> public education, has not only been implemented at great cost and
> fanfare, but it's largely created (perhaps "worsened") the "teach to
> the test" problem you described.

Not to mention it's a largely *unfunded* mandated program from the
federal level, so it exacerbates the "teach to the test problem" and
puts more pressure on already tight school budgets.  My girlfriend was
working in the HR department of Chapel Hill/Carborro schools until a few
weeks ago and has many choice words about "Every Child Left Behind".

--[Lance]

--
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
 Carolina Spirit Quest  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/