[TriLUG] OT: Education

Shane O'Donnell shaneodonnell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 10:11:12 EDT 2005

I repeat my previous (and quoted) comment:  Big deal.

The trick to exceeding expectations is setting low ones in the first
place.  And I maintain my position that if your
intent/goal/expectation is to be one of the top .000004% of incomes in
the US, you will be sadly disappointed.

However, if you focus on what you do, do it well, make good plans and
execute on them flawlessly, and AIM FOR THE MIDDLE, you might find
yourself surprised and amazed by your own accomplishments.  It's
easier to get to the top if you are already at the middle.  I'd bet
that Michael Jordan and Michael Dell never aspired to be the best
ever--just better than whomever they were competing with at the time.
And they knew it would take hard work and smart investment (of time,
money, etc.).  Their focus and execution (and market factors) made
everything else happen.

Shane O.

On 9/26/05, Mark Freeze <mfreeze at gmail.com> wrote:
> >Prediction: No one on this mailing list is going to
> >become one of the Top 10 richest people in America.
> >I'll even extend that to say Top 1000. Big deal.
>  I'm sure people thought the same when Jordan played at UNC. He was a great
> player, but no one looked at him and said "He is definitely going to be the
> best basketball player of our generation." Michael Dell didn't open his
> small parts business and predict that years later he would have a huge
> domination of the computer market. However, without the 'go for the top'
> attitude these people would not be where they are today, regardless of
> clever marketing or technical smarts.
>  I guess what I'm saying is that I'll bet no one ever heard Michael Dell say
> "I'll never be one of the richest people in the US." Or Jordan say "You want
> me to win how many championships? Impossible!"
>  Way to strive for the middle Shane! ;->
>  Regards,
> Mark.

Shane O.