[TriLUG] ot - vonage hiccups

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 26 20:39:24 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 14:17, Wing D Lizard wrote:
> I get quarter second gaps from time to time when listening
> to long distance calls.  Previously, my vonage voip/router
> box was behind my main router.  I moved it in front so
> it goes
>
>  tw_cable_modem --> linksys_vonage_router --> main_router
>
> The old setup had the routers reversed.
>
> I have a single ip address from twc.
>
> Does anybody know if this will work better?

Drop your computer from the network (pull the network plug) when the
problem starts. If the problem continues then the problem is off-net
from the local network and no amount of QoS will help.

If pulling your computer off the network helps then check it for
viruses, spy-ware, etc. We've had a few Soho clients that went from
perfect voice to horrible cell-phone sounding conversations after they
contracted some nasty viruses.

If you don't think it's a Vonage problem you can always do a traceroute
to their CA and then ping various points along that route to see where
problems begin are occurring.  I just traced down a Covad problem for a
client last week doing something similar.

Good Luck.

Jon Carnes