[TriLUG] Is the Steering committee moderating folks without first discusing it with them?

Ben Pitzer bpitzer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 10:10:43 EDT 2005

Folks,

As someone who volunteers a great deal of his time to administering
projects, programs, and functions that benefit other people, I would simply
caution everyone to recognize that our SC does what they do on a COMPLETELY
volunteer basis, and they do so with their free time outside of work and
their families. Now, while there may be some temporary inconvenience for
those of us making use of the COMPLETELY free services that they and their
predecessors have provided, I would suggest that patience and understanding
are the way to go here. It's not like these volunteers have nothing better
to do than sit down and work on your problem. They've never failed to fix
anything, to my knowledge, and they've never ignored anyone's complaint,
suggestion, or offer of assistance. They may not be able to deal with them
in your timeframe, but until we start paying them, I don't think that they
have anywhere close to the same level of accountability as a paid service.

That said, I thank them for their time, I thank Kevin for correcting the
issue, and I thank the rest of us to kindly either volunteer to join the
steering committee and do better, or keep the complaints to the utmost
minimum. I'm not trying to pick on you directly, Jim, but this situation is
simply a minor example of the type of response that I'm talking about. My
comments are more directed at the entire LUG.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer