[TriLUG] upgrade Mandrake with RAID

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Tue Sep 27 14:26:00 EDT 2005

Folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has experience upgrading to a newer Mandrake release
when software RAID is involved?  The problem is that I had to manually modify
the initrd so that the systems could boot from RAID1 (/boot) and RAID5
(everything else).

I'm thinking that a live upgrade may be the way to go, but I can't find much
in the way of documentation.  My basic understanding is that I point urpmi at
the new distribution and it upgrades all of my existing packages to their new
counterparts, all while the system is still running.  That will give me a
chance to modify the new initrd before rebooting.  Plus, I'm not even sure if
the installation software could deal with RAID arrays.

This will be going from 10.0 to 10.1, since 10.0 is reaching end of life this
week.

All advice is welcome. Thanks!

Michael