[TriLUG] linux-based PDA

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Wed Sep 28 09:40:35 EDT 2005

On Sep 27, 2005, at 11:30 PM, Michael Martin wrote:

> At the risk of being off-topic, I'd like to ask for opinions from
> the group.
> I am about to buy a new PDA. I currently have and have been very
> happy with
> a Zaurus 5500. I would like to stay in the linux-based camp but
> some of the
> M$-based PDAs are making me consider the dark side.
>
> The Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100 looks awesome, has a 4GB hdd but lacks
> wireless
> without an addon CF card.
>
> The Sprint PPC-6700 is a PDA and a phone and has a camera!
> The O2Xda Exec Mobile does all that at 520Mhz.
> Both of these are cheaper than the Zaurus (at least from the web-
> reviews).
>
> Anyone have any opinions to help with this important decision?

The kinds of things I expect my PDA to do are far different from what
I expect my desktop or laptop to do.  When I was in the market for a
new PDA about six months ago, I ended up getting a Palm-based Treo
650 and replaced my cell phone at the same time.  It is sufficient
for all the things I need to do with a PDA, and then some.
Calendaring, contact list, e-mail, SMS and a web browser are all
built-in.  I believe it even has a Word and Excel viewer as available
apps.

I've installed apps that let me post LiveJournal entries, look up
phone numbers from yp.com,  I've installed a couple games, including
an FPS helicopter gun-ship game.  I've gotten, but not registered, an
MP3 player (does it in software, so it's really power hungry).

I gotta say, a combination cell phone and PDA is da bomb.  I'm not
one for the Bat Utility Belt fashion statement, and the combo makes
it so much easier to have everything easily accessible.

For all that it does, the Treo 650 is not without its warts, some of
which can be alleviated with third-party software, some of which can
not.  It is more fragile than you'd think.

Ultimately, the Palm vs WinCE question comes down to a combination of
personal preference and what you want to do with the device.

What requirements do you have for the device?

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org
ICBM: 38º 56' 32.6"N 77º 24' 47.7"W Z+62m