[TriLUG] linux-based PDA

Thomas Mayfield tgmayfield at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 10:47:02 EDT 2005

On 9/28/05, Michael Martin <michael.the.martian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your input, guys. I really appreciate it.
>
> I treat my current PDA more like a laptop than a traditional PDA. I don't
> have it syncing with anything. I do transfer files but I keep those on CF. I
> have the usual PIM stuff but I also have games, music, books and videos on
> it. I've seen some of the devices on the market right now and I've been awed
> with the better screens, more memory and power. I can't wait until they can
> miniturize a 2GHz desktop down to a device that fits in my pocket. So maybe
> that is what I'm looking for. I don't need something with a phone and camera
> attached - even though I will look like I'm wearing a knock off of a Bat
> Utility Belt. Maybe I should get the most computer that fits in the palm of
> my hand. Hmmmmm Still leaves me with big decisions but I've narrowed the
> field a bit.
>
> Thanks again for your advice. If I decide on a Linux device I'll post again
> and give my review.

I do the same with my PDA, a Dell Axim X5 Advanced (Pocket PC) with an
802.11b CF card, and an added SD memory card.  I have dozens of novels
and technical texts on it, short movies, audio, games, etc.  I don't
sync with anything, though I sometimes have to prep application
installs on my desktop when they don't come in .CAB install form.

When I was shopping for a PDA a few months ago, I settled on this one
because it was a little ways behind the curve (and hence a great deal
less expensive), but had the SD and CF slots for future expansion.  I
think I paid all of $135 for the X5, $40 for the WiFi CF card, and $25
for a 256MB memory card, bringing me up fairly close to the curve for
less.  My device is only behind on processor (only 400Mhz), and
doesn't have any of the new screen innovations that you mentioned (and
that I'ma have to go investigate now).

Let me know what you find.  I'm interested to see what routes people
take to do the PDA-as-laptop gig.

--Thomas