[TriLUG] preferential traffic shaping

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Mon Oct 3 11:13:44 EDT 2005

> Not quite sure if this is what you're looking for, but I've had success
> running similar tasks (like FTP) by starting the session with screen, then
> detaching the screen. It continues to run, but with a lower priority.

Thanks for the suggestion (although the man pages of "screen" do not
suggest anything about the "nice" CPU priority of the running tasks --
I will play with screen to see how it behaves).

The "priority" that I am speaking of is not the CPU priority, but a
TCP/IP queuing priority.

If I do not specify a queuing discipline, I find that bittorrent will
use all of the available bandwidth (or up to a limit specified on the
command line) for uploading files to other BT users.  However, I want
it to use only my unused bandwidth, and not to compete with my other
traffic.

Alan