[TriLUG] OT: laptop needed
gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 14:25:04 EDT 2005
I need a laptop. If I have to go through life with $HUGE_COMPANY'S xp
laptop for one more day where I am not able to things like.. oh, USE
THE USB PORT (!!!!) or, um, change my IP address so I can RECOVER A
ROUTER IN DISASTER RECOVERY MODE I think I might start to bash my head
against the wall. And it's brick (and, NO, I can't, for some reason,
become self-managed under XP to do these things as I am a contractor..
blah blah blah)
So, I need an inexpensive laptop. Things I need are:
1. good screen (no huge lines across it or so many red pixels it looks
like a blood-bath)
2. Decent processor and RAM (I can always get more ram.. but a good
enough processor to run Ubuntu desktop well enough to get by)
3. A 9 PIN SERIAL PORT on board.. that's 9 pin.. and it must work (I
4. On board RJ-45 would be nice.
5. Don't care about wireless (though PCMCIA would be good if there is
not on-board 802.11 chip)
6. The smaller the better, the lighter the better. I don't have much
money so if the thing is a true boat anchor I don't really mind; I'll
just lock it up at work.
7. I don't even care if the battery drains quickly - as long as it has
a working plug
That's about it. What do you have that you'd be willing to part with
and how much do you want for it?
More information about the TriLUG