[TriLUG] Help with SAMBA acting as PDC for windows authentication

John-David Henderson jd at savagegeek.com
Wed Oct 5 09:43:19 EDT 2005

Hello,

I have a situation that is happening to one of my Windows XP workstations trying to connect
to a SAMBA server acting as a Primary Domain Controller.  So to begin with, the server is
a RedHat Fedora Core 3 Running SAMBA version 3.0.10-1.fc3

So what is happening is when I am trying to join the machine account to our "WEBNET" domain,
the error on the Windows XP workstation is " The following error occurred attempting to join the domain WEBNET: Access is denied

Now, I am using a valid username to authenticate the machine account, and the machine account exists
in the /etc/samba/smbpasswd file.  Also the machine account exists in the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow file.

entry in /etc/passwd file:
n-pace$:x:1105:105::Machine Account:/dev/null:/bin/false

entry in /etc/shadow file:
n-pace$:!:13011:0:99999:7:::

entry in /etc/samba/smbpasswd file
n-pace$:1105:498B3F3A1D654D56AAD3B435B51404EE:7C5D6F77A7C4A52F3F771BA178AD21D4:[W          ]:LCT-4342E59A:

Now I do know when getting the error above it means:
There isn't a machine account entered in smbpasswd for the computer you're attempting to have
join the domain, or the machine account is currently disabled. It's also possible that you're
trying to join the domain using an account name other than "root", which is required.

Also, this machine was on the domain as a different machine account, but I removed the account from the /etc/passwd file /etc/shadow file, and
/etc/samba/smbpasswd file.

Can anybody help?

Thank you very much

JD Henderson