[TriLUG] Bind question

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 5 16:23:18 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 15:44, Douglas Ward wrote:
> I have set up two bind servers (one with master zones and the other with
> slave zones). After much research and work I have all of my domains set up
> and have verified that transfers are working properly. Now is the time for
> the servers to go live. I have pointed two test domains to these name
> servers before moving anything in full production. Requests aren't making it
> through. I think I have missed a step. Here is what I have done so far:
>
> 1) Set up servers
> 2) Verified that transfers are working properly from master to slave
> 3) Entered all of my zones, a records, ns records, mx records etc...
> 4) Opened port 53 on the firewall for both servers
> (ns1.nccumc.org<http://ns1.nccumc.org>and
> ns2.nccumc.org <http://ns2.nccumc.org>)
> 5) Registered both name servers as public servers through my domain
> registrar
> 6) Pointed two domains (nccumc.com <http://nccumc.com> and
> nccumc.net<http://nccumc.net>)
> to the name servers
>
> I can't get through to them (name servers). While reading the O'Reilly book
> on Bind it was suggested to use the following line in named.conf to restrict
> all activity to port 53:
>
> query-source address * port 53;
>
> Have I missed a port (or range of ports) that should be opened? Maybe a
> configuration step? Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks!

whois nccumc.com

Domain Name: nccumc.com
Registrar: Spot Domain LLC

Expiration Date: 2010-05-24 17:40:40
Creation Date: 2004-05-24 17:40:40

Name Servers:
    ns2.nccumc.org
    ns1.nccumc.org

===
host ns1.nccumc.org
ns1.nccumc.org has address 70.150.217.88

host ns2.nccumc.org
ns2.nccumc.org has address 70.150.217.89

===
host www.nccumc.org 70.150.217.88
Using domain server:
Name: 70.150.217.88
Address: 70.150.217.88#53
Aliases:

www.nccumc.org has address 70.150.217.67

Note: that worked fine!

===
host -t ns nccumc.org
nccumc.org name server ns2.domainsite.com.
nccumc.org name server ns3.domainsite.com.
nccumc.org name server ns4.domainsite.com.
nccumc.org name server ns1.domainsite.com.

Note: Huh? The name servers are not ns1.nccumc.org and ns2.nccumc.org

host ns1.domainsite.com
ns1.domainsite.com has address 69.25.212.129

Looks like you need to put a pair of NS statements in your zone files
pointing to the ns1.nccumc.org and ns2.nccumc.org servers...

Jon Carnes