[TriLUG] Slightly OT:Vonage vs. TWC Phone Service

John Broome jbroome at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 11:31:03 EDT 2005

On 10/6/05, Matt Pusateri <mpusateri at wickedtrails.com> wrote:
> Triluggers,
>
> I trying to decide on Vonage versus Time Warner Cable's phone service.
>  I have had mixed reviews on both.  Anyone care to share the
> experiences.  From a price perspective Vonage seems more desirable,
> but I don't want to end up in one of those - You get what you pay for
> scenarios.
>
> Also those that are successful in having good quality voip service do
> you have the voip ATA box ahead of you local network or behind.  If
> behind are you doing and QOS.  My setup will most likely involve a
> WRTG54.

This should probably go in the FAQ:

Matt, I've had both.  I started with TWC digital phone mainly because
I was happy that they were doing QoS for me and would wire it up so
all phones in the house would be on the VoIP.

I started thinking about it, and was pretty unhappy that I was paying
pretty much the same for voip as I was for bellsouth each month, plus
TWC doesn't include voicemail.

I dropped TWC in March-ish and got a vonage ATA.  activation and
configuration were easy, and since TWC had unhooked me from the
bellsouth connection, i just plugged the ATA into the wall and the
whole hous was able to be on the voip connection.

I have had no problems with vonage.  One of the differences btw vonage
and TWC, is that TWC is set up to allow your analog modem devices to
work, not so with vonage.

My Tivo couldn't make its daily call over vonage, i got around that by
buying a NIC for it.

As far as QoS with Vonage i'm doing it with PF and altq (thanks to
david aquilina for the example pf file).  My network is: cable modem >
firewall > switch > ATA/other  stuff.

Phone call quality has been great with both.  It was a matter of
price/features that got me to vonage.