[TriLUG] Boot ubuntu from floppy?

Liyun Yu yu at radonc.unc.edu
Fri Oct 7 13:31:13 EDT 2005

I was trying to figure out how to install Ubuntu on a laptop
that has no CD drive and no network NIC connections. It is a
Thinkpad 240. There is an external floppy drive and an external
USB CD drive is available to host the Ubuntu installation CD
but won't boot from there.

So far I have tried the BootManager (off sourceforge) that won't work.
Tested booting using RedHat floppy then run from the USB CD and it
seemed to work - should be able to install the RedHat Linux.

My question:
Is there anyway to create a bootable floppy, just like the one
redhat created, to boot off the floppy drive to allow installing
Ubuntu on to this Thinkpad 240 laptop?

I searched around (google, ubuntuforums, etc.)but did not find
any resource available to this specific case, except some suggestions
using network booting or using Btmgr both won't work in this case.

Thanks,

Liyun Yu