[TriLUG] Slightly OT:Vonage vs. TWC Phone Service

Jason White jason at jw2.org
Sat Oct 8 00:36:06 EDT 2005

* Michael Lee (melee.list at gmail.com) [051007 20:43]:

> In addition to Vonage and TWC, there is also AT&T's Callvantage.  I
> have had good luck with it.  It is (or was) slightly more expensive
> than Vonage, but cheaper than TWC.  And I had no problems porting my
> existing phone number to it.  Vonage on the other hand couldn't port
> the number in over 5 months.  AT&T took 5 days.

My experiences exactly.  I waited for 5 months for Vonage to port my
Bellsouth number, before I finally cancelled Vonage and switched to
AT&T Callvantage.  They ported it in 8 days.

Callvantage has been rock-solid for me for a year or so now. They have
just about every feature imaginable, including a decent web interface
(which appears to be running apache/tomcat), voicemail, email
attachments, etc.  Only negatives:  (1) they charge extra to have
unwanted numbers blocked, and (2) from what I have read, they are not
Asterisk-friendly (unlike VoicePulse).

Also, a friend of mine had TWC, but easily switched to Lingo, and has had
good success with them.  Lingo = $19.99/unlimited.

Jason