[TriLUG] Penguins in the desert

John Mitchell john280z at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 15:37:03 EDT 2005

> We have several older computers that have been donated for this project.

> 1) We are leaning towards Mandriva (primarily because I am the most familiar
> with it and prefer it over other distributions). Any reasons why we
> shouldn't use Mandriva? Is there another distribution better suited for this
> work?
> 2) We are trying to visualize the unique challenges of operating computers
> in the desert without air conditioning. Has anyone ever done this before? If
> so, would you care to share any lessons learned?

1) I would take with me several light weight "Live CD's, such as
DamnSmallLinux. The reason is the "We have several older computers"
sentence. "Older computer" in the third world could mean that these
are P1/128 Meg types and you may find that Mandriva is to "fat" to run
on them. (DSL will also run without a working Hard Disk).
2) Air Flow, Air Flow, Air Flow! Make sure Power Supply Fans have no
dust on blades, all card slots are closed off, no open drive bays and
no dust on CPU heat sink.

john mitchell