[TriLUG] Penguins in the desert

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Oct 12 15:01:15 EDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 09:16:20AM -0400, Barry Gaskins wrote:
> bells and whistles. Look at low resource distros like DSL (Damn Small
> Linux). If you cannot determine what the specs are on the machines before
> you leave then burn a dozen different CDs of a whole range of distro's that
> have different system requirements. Otherwise you will get there with the
> distro that you prefer only to find out that the old machines they have will
> not even boot up the install CD.

And to be even more paranoid, I would also look at the possibility of
not being able to boot from CDROM and take along one or more sets of
Floppy + CDROM for the worst case.  When John mentioned low-end Pentiums
yesterday, I wondered about 386 and 486 vintage machines, just as one of
us mentioned today.

I agree with the turnkey approach, even if the users _do_ have some
Linux knowledge, most of the time all that they need is a light-weight
desktop publishing machine ( fancy typewriter ).  John may not be in
favour of IceWM, but it _is_ lightweight and easy to configure for a few
applications and utilities.

I am almost ready to volunteer to help out at this end, and even
possibly, there!

Brian