[TriLUG] Squirrel Mail [pro/con]

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 13 11:29:20 EDT 2005

I use squirrelmail on several systems.  It's very easy to set up since
it's all just php.  Just extract it into your web server and run conf.pl
to set it up for your organization name, and domain.  You should also
tell it your imap server type so it can configure some pre-defined
settings.  You can also add plugins for abilities such as filtering,
spellcheck, spamcop, etc.  I don't consider squirrelmail the best email
client for power users, but it is a good way to be able to get to your
email quickly, and for many people it's quite sufficient as their normal
client.  Be sure to set up SSL on your web server so your password isn't
sent in plain text.

Regarding spam filtering, I haven't looked at the spamcop plugin, but a
better solution would be to use spamassassin and process all your mail
with spamassassin before you read it.  How you do that depends on your
MTA and MDA.

Joel