[TriLUG] Squirrel Mail [pro/con]

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Thu Oct 13 15:13:07 EDT 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Joel Ebel wrote:
> I use squirrelmail on several systems.  It's very easy to set up since it's
> all just php.  Just extract it into your web server and run conf.pl to set it
> up for your organization name, and domain.

If you're using CentOS it's just a matter of RPM installs. You'll need to
fidget with /etc/httpd/conf.d/squirrelmail.conf, and look at
/usr/share/doc/squirrelmail-*/ for info on making an appropriate secure
cert.

We switched from Horde to Squirrelmail recently and I seriously like
Squirrelmail more. I actually hardly use it, preferring PC-Pine, but a lot
of friends love the webmail interface.

> Regarding spam filtering, I haven't looked at the spamcop plugin, but a
> better solution would be to use spamassassin and process all your mail with
> spamassassin before you read it.  How you do that depends on your MTA and
> MDA.

What Joe said. Squirrelmail is really just a web interface to IMAP.
There's add-ons to do spamfiltering. But what you probably want to do is
install Spamassassin, do some training to build a bayesin database and
then setup procmail rule(s) to send any Spamassassin tagged e-mail into a
"probably-spam" folder. That way it doesn't crowd your Inbox.

Or you can look at Maia Mailguard:

 	http://www.maiamailguard.com/

which provides a web interface to Spamasassin, clamav and more. There was
a presentation on it at the NC Sysadmin meeting some months ago, it was
pretty good...