[TriLUG] October 20th Raleigh Perl Mongers meeting 7:15pm at Tekelec

Brad Oaks bradoaks at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 19:52:16 EDT 2005

Good evening Perl Mongers and TriLUGgers,

A week from tonight we will be gathering to hear about RPM2 from James
Oden.  The meeting will take place at Tekelec (directions and map are
available from the web page).  Below is a description of the talk.  If
you know you'll be attending, you could rsvp to me
(bradoaks at gmail.com) so that I can get a headcount and determine if
we'll need to move up to a larger meeting room.  Below is a
description of the talk James will give.

Hope to see you out,
--bradoaks

 RPM provides mechanisms for building, deploying and auditing deployed
software. While it does provide CLI's to handle most of these
functions, these CLI's are under the hood using librpm. RPM2(3pm) is
the perl bindings for librpm that allows you have direct access to
package headers, and the rpmdb. This discussion will cover:

    * RPM Architecture from a very high level for the purpose of
effective use of RPM2(3pm).
    * Querying the database with RPM2.
    * Querying sets of packages with RPM2.
    * Basic install and erase with RPM2.

Also, I don't mind spending some time on discussing packaging cpan
modules using cpanflute2, but pretty much that is a very easy process
so it will probably be something like "hey this out there, here is
where you get, and wow look how easy it is to build rpm's from cpan
archives (-;".