[TriLUG] Sound Stopped Working

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Fri Oct 14 18:01:25 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 03:14:28PM -0400, Randall Barlow wrote:
> Strangely, the sound just randomly started working again without me
> doing anything with it (it's been a busy week and I haven't had time to
> mess with it yet).  The only thing I can think of was that I shut the
> machine down (I had tried restarting it before, and that didn't do the
> trick).  Maybe powering off and then on the sound card reset something
> that was messed up?

It's quite possible. A lot of motherboard manufacturers use [and code
for] components that are...suboptimal. Software from them doesn't
bother to initialize form registers properly, as we're seeing with
quite a few instances of Intel's new High Definition Audio (Azalia)
spec. Sometimes a hard boot is necessary, but we should able to work
around that in the driver (ALSA).

Cheers,
Daniel T. Chen            crimsun at ubuntu.com
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc