[TriLUG] myth tv, the broadcast flag, encoder cards, and the like

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 15:15:07 EDT 2005

So, as I understand it the broadcast flag is dead, right?  Stop me
here if I'm wrong.

As I recall last year around this time all the linux rags were saying
"get your non-broadcast flag card now before it's too late".  I
assume, since there was some overlap of the broadcast flag starting
and it being shot down that cards sold would have had to support this.
 True?

What about the cards made now?  Do they still support the flag in the
sense that if the flag were reinstated via supreme court decision
tomorrow would they cease to copy programs or can I purchase one to
make a portable DVR out of and I don't have to worry about it?

Greg