[TriLUG] debian in production

Joseph E. ODoherty joey at odoherty.net
Sat Oct 22 22:25:55 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 12:02:57PM -0400, Scott Lundgren wrote:

Hi Scott,

> Can someone give me +/-'s of running Debian stable in production? Most
> of my administrative experience comes from RH, Fedora, and smidgen of
> SuSE.

I've had a colocated Sparc64 running Debian Sarge for about a year and a
half (since well before Sarge was "stable", actually-- I was a bit
over-optimistic in guessing when Sarge would be released ;) I've been very
happy with the box and with Debian; being able to access the firmware via a
serial connection (yay sparc!) is quite nice.

Be sure to read the excellent Debian Sparc release
notes/eratta/installation guide at: http://www.debian.org/ports/sparc/

I'd also check to see if there are significant Sparc specific bugs in
any of your critical packages: http://www.debian.org/Bugs/

Best,
/joeyo

--
pub  1024D/B663781B 2001-11-13 Joey O'Doherty <joey(at)odoherty(dot)net>
     Key fingerprint = F76B 9ACA 4197 C707 6E4D  2B78 E430 101A B663 781B