[TriLUG] Uh-oh: hardware question: IBM VRM

Bill Geschwind geschwin at email.unc.edu
Fri Oct 28 08:58:41 EDT 2005

If you add an additional processor to an IBM server, you will need to add a
corresponding Voltage Regulator Module (VRM), which is a device that ensures
that the processor will get the correct amount of regulated power, and
without which the system shouldn't be able to run or the processor could be
severely damaged.

The document that says that the part number has changed from ...01 to ...02
is fairly recent (8/10/05;
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1MIGR-56233), considering
which I would find it hard to believe that IBM is not able to sell you a
part that would work for you. Searching for specific parts on their web site
can be frustrating, and once before when I ran into a similar problem I
called them and they were able to get me the part I needed. Have you tried
calling them at 1-888-SHOP-IBM?

Good Luck!

Bill Geschwind
ITS Distributed Systems, Server Farm