[TriLUG] OT: C++ question

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Oct 31 12:49:04 EST 2005

One option would be to exec() sendmail to do the e-mail dirty work.
Another option would be to write your own SMTP client (it's really not
hideously difficult..  I've done it in the past) and use C/C++ libraries
for the TCP socket, etc..

As far as command-line arguments:
This may be a bone you already have, but for a C/C++ program whose main
function is declared thusly:

int main (int argc, char** argv);

argc contains the number of arguments and argv is an array of
null-terminated strings which hold the arguments.

Important gotcha, which probably doesn't apply to you (and someone
correct me if I am wrong, which I may be):
On Wintel/DOS systems,
   argv[0] is the first argument
On Unix systems,
   argv[0] is the name of the program.