[TriLUG] mysql weirdness

Kevin Miller kevinm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 10:11:49 EST 2005

MySQL has two modes of connectivity: 'localhost', which uses a Unix domain
socket (e.g. /tmp/mysql.sock) or TCP. If you specify -hlocalhost, it will
use the domain socket (default). If you specify
-hmyhostname.example.org<http://hmyhostname.example.org>,
it will use TCP. Often permissions are setup to allow access from localhost
but not TCP.

-Kevin