[TriLUG] RH to Debian learning curve?

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Tue Nov 1 11:35:13 EST 2005

We are in the process of evaluating dedicated server hosting options.

One that was recommended to us (dreamhost.com) uses Debian.  I have nothing
against Debian...because I really know SQUAT about it.  We've been using
RH-based systems exclusively in our test lab and office servers.  While
I would love to have the time to really learn Debian, the reality is that
my time is required elsewhere.

So my question is:
How much time should I expect to spend adjusting to Debian if we were
to get a debian-based server?

On our server, we are typically doing these things (in order of frequency):
1) updating website, which is primarily HTML/PHP
2) managing our support system, which is Java and MySQL deployed in Tomcat.
3) managing email (spam configuration, mailboxes, etc)
For the most part, other than our web content, we only touch it when
something breaks.

TIA,

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software