[TriLUG] retrieving tar backups from solaris 8mm drives

Glenn Hennessee Glenn_Hennessee at ncsu.edu
Tue Nov 1 13:10:20 EST 2005

Is it the same physical drive moved to a linux box or a different drive?
Maybe the old drive used hardware compression which the new drive
doesn't do or software compression (tar -czvf ) was used so now you
would need tar -tzf /dev/st0 (or whatever your tape device is). Just
some thoughts, none guaranteed to be correct.

glenn