[TriLUG] (no subject)

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Tue Nov 1 13:57:44 EST 2005

It's different drives.  I have a sun 8mm tape drive, but the workstation no
longer boots.  I don't think I can hook a tape sun drive up to an x86 pci
SCSI controller without some bios adjustments.  So, I'm using a different
drive on an x86 linux box.
tar does not seem to be quite tar between solaris 2.x and debian sarge.
Both drives, however, use the same 112m 8mm tapes.

Doug

>Is it the same physical drive moved to a linux box or a different drive?
>Maybe the old drive used hardware compression which the new drive
>doesn't do or software compression (tar -czvf ) was used so now you
>would need tar -tzf /dev/st0 (or whatever your tape device is). Just
>some thoughts, none guaranteed to be correct.

>glenn
Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of Interior.
I left my signature file in /dev/null