[TriLUG] RH to Debian learning curve?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 14:39:17 EST 2005

On 11/1/05, Christopher L Merrill <chris at webperformanceinc.com> wrote:
> So how long did it take you to figure out, for example, the differences
> in the Apache configuration the first time you needed to make some
> configuration changes?
>
> I assume Debian has an equivalent to RPM/yum (apt-get?). Once the installation
> is complete, is keeping up-to-date and getting notifications of available
> updates harder or easier?

I switched from Mandrake (which is similar in config as RH) to Debian
about a year and a half ago and in the process switched from Apache
1.3.x to 2.x.  The way debian sets up their config files didn't take any
time to get used to.  In fact, now that I've switched over, I like it quite
a lot.  If you look at the directory structure, it's pretty obvious as to
what's supposed to go where, so I'd say the learning curve isn't steep at
all.

Now, getting used to dpkg vs apt and apt-get vs urpmi (or yum or up2date),
however, is a bigger jump.  I've made a few notes concerning the differences
between dpkg and rpm here:
http://wayfarer.org/wiki/index.php/Dpkg_For_RPM_Users

Cheers,
Tanner