[TriLUG] RH to Debian learning curve?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 14:57:20 EST 2005

On 11/1/05, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, getting used to dpkg vs apt and apt-get vs urpmi (or yum or up2date),
> however, is a bigger jump.  I've made a few notes concerning the differences
> between dpkg and rpm here:
> http://wayfarer.org/wiki/index.php/Dpkg_For_RPM_Users

I haven't found that I've had to interface directly with dpkg very
much if at all.

Most of the time, I use it via apt-get, or one of the GUI front-ends
such as synaptic (which runs fine remotely over an ssh pipe).  If you
abhor guis then dselect is another front-end to dpkg which handles
dependencies. As a matter of fact if you look at man dpkg it points to
dselect as the preferable ui.

I actually started using apt-get (or at least the version which had
been ported to use rpm) when I was still on RH9.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/