[TriLUG] What could be going on with my nameserver?

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Nov 2 07:43:51 EST 2005

AJ> Consider the number and variety of queries sent to your
AJ> name server, vs the number and variety sent to (for example)
AJ> Time Warner's name servers?  Virtually anything you're
AJ> likely to request is probably already cached on the TW
AJ> name servers, because someone has gone to that page
AJ> recently.

Or a more extreme example, a small country's primary ISP.
When I lived in Singapore, there was a noticeable difference
in latency between local web sites and US-hosted sites.

To smooth things out a bit, SingTel cached DNS, as well as
some web content.

Since then, the Singapore government has invested heavily
in fiber optic connections to the US.

It's weird to see the net from the other side of the world.

Alan

.