[TriLUG] What could be going on with my nameserver?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 08:11:11 EST 2005

On 11/2/05, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:

> > The reason that I'm forwarding to my router is that
> > it gets my isp name servers via dhcp, and I can't figure out how to
> > get them from it in turn.
>
> There's nothing that says you have to use your ISP's name
> servers.  I routinely use the nameservers from $WORK while
> I am at $HOME.  For one, it's faster than BellSouth.  And
> also, it's a poor man's way to monitor the $WORK network
> during off-hours.

Well in my case $STATUS == 'retired', so $WORK == NULL.

My nameserver is primarily there to resolve names on the local
subdomain.  The pseudo-business is really my home, two users and a
small handful of client machines.

As I said, for now I've put in the two isp name servers which the
router gets from dhcp and seem to be at stable addresses, and taken
the appliance router out of the forwarders list.

So far the effects seem to be positive.
--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site