[TriLUG] vi(m) #1 of the top ten linux tools admins should know/have

jonc jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 2 14:28:31 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 13:41, Cristobal Palmer wrote:
> I thought I would give you the benefit of the doubt and read the article...
>
> I'm sorry, but he lost all credibility by wasting one of his ten slots
> in the "toolbox" with abcde. Music may help you get through the work
> day, but CD ripping software as part of your toolbox? Puh-lease.

Well it really just goes to show you how desperate some of these sites
get for monthly articles... I also disagree with much of his top 10
list, but I do agree that "vi" is #1 on the list.

It's surprising to an old Unix hound like myself that so much of the
newer Linux converts don't know vi. I guess that's really a good thing.
Most distros are now easy to manage using GUIs; folks can strive and
survive without the command-line if they must.

<Ahh, but that just doesn't feel like Open Source to me...>

Jon "cybertooth" Carnes